Skip to main content

What I love about number agents

😎 I LOVE NUMBER AGENTS!



Number agents is a teaching approach that I developed based on Mantle of the Expert (of which I did the university paper and had used in my class for a few years)  and current maths PLD.  It is an approach that has transformed my teaching and the whole 'feeling' about maths in my classroom, it fits beautifully into my play-based room and there is a very symbiotic relationship.  I wrote the book because I wanted to share this approach with others...after all why should I have all the fun!  Seriously I believe it is good enough to warrant sharing.

These are the things I love most about teaching this way:

1)It is fun...absolutely fun!  The drama, play, use of puppets, and encounters with the villains are fun and the look on the 'agents' faces is absolutely priceless.

2)Materials are encouraged and used widely, but they don't need to be expensive.  The materials you and your agents use and prefer are not prescribed by this approach...you use what works for you and your agents.  The toolboxes make these materials special.

3)You can apply bits and pieces of what you have learned and use in in professional development time.  Basically any approach you like can be used in professional development, how you run these sessions and what you use is up to you.  Number Agents can work through any of your preferred programmes...it is simply called professional development.

4)Problem Solving - Number Agents is strongly based on current Maths PLD.  It includes talk moves and best practice approach to mixed ability problem solving.

5)Development of vocabulary in Number Agents is a real spin off, we spend a lot of time talking out loud, exploring and discussing.  Agents are experts, therefore they are encouraged to talk like experts...and the villains use a high level of language and some fabulous words!

6)You can make it your own, as long as the facets of agency are used and the hooking in and building belief are done, how you then run agency is up to you...it can take as long one day as you need and it can also fit quickly into a day that is jam packed.

7)Children are engaged, they are experts, for them the imagined problems are authentic, they have a purpose...it isn't just a problem solving session, they are defeating villains and if they don't the consequences will be dire.  Professional development becomes crucial, there is a point to learning all this knowledge.

8)It particularly appeals to those learners that in the past may have turned off during normal maths sessions...specifically boys and those children who sometimes struggle to manage themselves.

9) And one of the most rewarding things of all is to hear that the teacher that has them next year is impressed with their understandings and mindset towards maths...now that is winning!


Yes there are some 'down sides' if you choose to put them that way:

1)It is crucial to read the book, to understand it and to put your own twist on it.  This is not a step by step programme that tells you what to do and when.

2)You still need really good content knowledge...this approach is dependent on your behind the scenes knowledge of where agents are at and where they need to be next.  It is dependent on you having a good handle of Mathematics both strand and number.

3)To do it right and to really use a Mantle of the Expert approach you will need at least four weeks of hooking in and building belief.  This is crucial if you want children to buy into agency.

4)While you don't have to be dramatic, you do need to be willing to step out of the ordinary when controlling the puppets and talking through the clients.

5) This is a new approach, I have used it for a few years, exclusively as my own approach and what I do...I am really the only person who can help...no one around NZ has used this approach, this is the first year I have put it out there....exciting!  Obviously it would be great to be able to talk about this approach with others and to observe it in action...hopefully this will be possible sooner rather than later :)  I am happy to have visitors, but I am in Whangarei.


What I want most for children in our classrooms is for them to play, to imagine, to create, to develop a positive mindset to maths and to all learning...basically to be children.  I love Number Agents because it allows me to do this, and teach maths really well!💙💙💙💙💙💙

If interested in a hard copy of the book you can click here to order...or you can visit my TPT store entitled Number Agents.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ThinkSRSD - my journey so far with my Year 1 and 2 class

A reflection of my journey   - slideshow shows my progress this term as detailed in this blog post. Introduction to SRSD If you have been following any of my posts, you will know that my journey into evidence-based practice in all areas led me to SRSD (Self-Regulated Strategy Development) last year. I started to explore what I could find online and quickly realised that, even though I was only scratching the surface of what SRSD is, the impacts on my class's writing were obvious. I listened to numerous podcasts and read as much as I could find, discovering that SRSD truly fits the bill for an evidence-based approach to writing. I must preface this by saying that I am not an expert; my qualifications lie in my commitment to using best practices and making this work in a typical New Zealand classroom. Professional Learning Development (PLD) with ThinkSRSD As a staff, we collectively decided to undertake Professional Learning Development (PLD) in ThinkSRSD. Our goal is to develop a sh...

The Power of Simple Organisers: Building Independence in Young Writers, Intentionally Linking Reading and Writing

The Power of Simple Organisers: Building Independence in Young Writers, Intentionally linking Reading and Writing Why a Basic Organiser Struck a Chord Recently, I shared a very basic organiser for reading comprehension on my Facebook page—something I have used frequently in my classroom. I was genuinely surprised by how popular the post became. It’s clear there’s a real hunger among teachers for practical ways to foster writing independence in young learners. With that in mind, I wanted to share the reasoning behind this organiser and how it fits into the wider journey of developing independent writers. Laying the Foundations: Sentence-Level Understanding My class of six- and seven-year-olds are building solid foundations as writers. We’ve invested a lot of time working at the sentence level, using Colourful Semantics to help children understand how sentences are constructed. From there, we began to add greater detail using planners inspired by Colourful Semantics, linking this with th...

Puppets in my play-based class....why they work so well

I have been using puppets in my classroom for years now.  It wasn't until I started using puppets with Number Agency that I actually started to stop and think about why they work so well.  When children see the puppet villain their eyes light up, they are excited, engaged and interact very authentically with this imagined character.  In fact if you hand one of the agents the puppet they can easily take on the character.  I will often see quite shy children come alive with a puppet on their hand, or when they are talking to a puppet. Because of this high level of engagement I started to use puppets last year more widely to explore emotions and friendships.  The results were amazing, children seemed to relate beautifully to the puppet and in a way the puppet could convey the message so much better than I could.  When the puppets started to create short videos for the children to watch the learning really came alive. The Empathy family was able to guide us...