Skip to main content

Officially Open

We kicked off the first session with this message...

Message from Head Agent.

A couple of things I talked to mine about today that I think are important in this approach...

1)This is imaginary, we know that right....but it is still fun eh!
2)Being an agent is like being a superhero, we are not always that superhero...we change into an agent and then we change back :)
3)Our existence is secret from Mrs Allen, she must never know what we are really doing. (they love this...)

Sitting in the portal/agency area was our confidential box.  We had a look at the map and the check in and check out system and I used storytelling to get them into agency.

They were super excited and this can be a hard balance as they have so much they want to add to the conversation and whilst their imaginings are important we do get sidetracked...so keeping them on track is a priority.

There was a little of setting up to do and agency did take us a little longer today, but I think I can get it down to 50min-1hr.

The professor was a huge hit.  He was brilliant at teaching them to count one to one and the looks on their faces when he engaged with them one to one were priceless.  I am glad I have added a puppet to this role.

There is a real dramatic trick to agency and so much is done on the spot and I think with time I have got so much better at being flexible.  I spent a lot of time referring to my secret files today, but as I get back into the swing of things this will get easier.  Today our check out buzzer wasn't working so I had to go into role as Mr Fixit...just a quick 360 turn and I was in character, I quick turn back and I was back to being myself.

I love the belief of young children and the size and capacity of their imaginations....my wish is that as teachers we would continue to foster this, I believe it is an incredible asset.

I made a couple of highlighted notes on my planning.

This is an editable link to our agent eyes today.  They said some interesting things and actually noticed a lot more than I thought they would.

I did not use cowgirl calculation today....just starting to problem solve is a huge ask for our little ones, so she may or may not come out tomorrow I will play it by ear.


This approach is not an easy one, but man it is worth it, just the engagement on their faces makes all my multiple-personalities and tired voice well worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ThinkSRSD - my journey so far with my Year 1 and 2 class

A reflection of my journey   - slideshow shows my progress this term as detailed in this blog post. Introduction to SRSD If you have been following any of my posts, you will know that my journey into evidence-based practice in all areas led me to SRSD (Self-Regulated Strategy Development) last year. I started to explore what I could find online and quickly realised that, even though I was only scratching the surface of what SRSD is, the impacts on my class's writing were obvious. I listened to numerous podcasts and read as much as I could find, discovering that SRSD truly fits the bill for an evidence-based approach to writing. I must preface this by saying that I am not an expert; my qualifications lie in my commitment to using best practices and making this work in a typical New Zealand classroom. Professional Learning Development (PLD) with ThinkSRSD As a staff, we collectively decided to undertake Professional Learning Development (PLD) in ThinkSRSD. Our goal is to develop a sh...

The Importance of Sentence Level Fluency And Comprehension In Literacy

 The Importance of Sentence Level Fluency And Comprehension In Literacy Sentence-level fluency and comprehension are often overlooked components in literacy education. These elements are crucial for helping children not only decode text but also understand and connect with it. In my teaching practice, I have been inspired by the works of Anne Lucas, Tim Rasinski, Hugh Catts, Nell Duke, and Lyn Stone. Their research and insights have significantly influenced how I approach literacy in my classroom. I shared some of these inspirations in a blog post at the beginning of 2023, which can be found here . Developing Class Texts In 2023, I focused on the development of class texts to improve sentence-level fluency and comprehension. This initiative was documented in my post on this blog, "The Unintentional Impact of My Class Decodable Texts." The primary goal of this work was to strengthen the connection between reading and writing. The Role of Ned and Bob Ned and Bob, the original c...

The Power of Simple Organisers: Building Independence in Young Writers, Intentionally Linking Reading and Writing

The Power of Simple Organisers: Building Independence in Young Writers, Intentionally linking Reading and Writing Why a Basic Organiser Struck a Chord Recently, I shared a very basic organiser for reading comprehension on my Facebook page—something I have used frequently in my classroom. I was genuinely surprised by how popular the post became. It’s clear there’s a real hunger among teachers for practical ways to foster writing independence in young learners. With that in mind, I wanted to share the reasoning behind this organiser and how it fits into the wider journey of developing independent writers. Laying the Foundations: Sentence-Level Understanding My class of six- and seven-year-olds are building solid foundations as writers. We’ve invested a lot of time working at the sentence level, using Colourful Semantics to help children understand how sentences are constructed. From there, we began to add greater detail using planners inspired by Colourful Semantics, linking this with th...