Wednesday 17 July 2024

Basic Facts - Effective ways to build fluency

 I thought today I would upload a bit of a 'vlog.'  There is simply too much information in my head to write it down.  This 'vlog' is around 30 minutes and details my learning so far around strategies to build fluency (accurate and with ease) with basic facts.

I know it is useful to sometimes have the main points broken down, so this video is my attempt to do this.

If you are like us, you shied away from building fluency with basic facts, for fear of causing anxiety.  This video addresses why this is a bit of a myth.  In saying that, there are ineffective and effective ways to build fluency with basic facts.

Daily retrieval practice is now part of our day, it looks a little different at times, but it is deliberate.  You can find out more via my number agents group on facebook, as I share what we are learning along the way.

We have a basic fact crisis in our country, if a year 6 child is still counting to solve facts that should be known, then there is something very wrong and we are setting them up for failure.







No comments:

Post a Comment